Keyword optimization – the act of identifying the best keywords to drive your target audience from search engines to your website. This is a crucial component of search engine marketing (SEM). If you are looking to boost your presence on google, organic keyword optimization is a great place to start.
Not only is keyword optimization a critical step in the first stages of search engine marketing for both paid and organic search, ongoing keyword optimization is necessary for expanding your reach into new verticals and staying ahead of your competitors in current.
It is important to note that keyword optimization is not a one-and-done process. By continuously monitoring new words, analyzing and expanding your database of keywords, you will grow your website’s traffic, leads, and sales. The typical process of keyword optimization can take anywhere from 3-7 months to see results.
The Benefits of Keyword Optimization
A recent survey found that search marketers list keyword optimization as one of the most difficult tasks in search engine marketing. Because it can be difficult, marketers don’t spend enough time optimizing keywords, which hurts their search engine optimization (SEO) and pay-per-click (PPC). Without the right keywords, your target market will not be able to find you as easily.
Practicing search engine keyword optimization can help you:
- Drive searchers to your website
- Measure online market potential
- Write more effective content
- Understand your target clients’ behavior
Implementing Keyword Search Optimization
Keyword optimization can be integrated into every aspect of digital marketing, including content, link building, information architecture, and advertising.
SEO Keyword Optimization
Successful SEO depends on the effective use and optimization of search engine keywords for your website.
- Title tag: This is the most important piece of content on your website, so including your target keywords is a must.
- Links: All your links (internal, inbound, navigational, breadcrumb, etc.) should include your top keywords.
- Content: Use target keywords in your content so it will rank well and connect with search engine users. An easy way to do this is by creating a blog page or an FAQ page.
- Images: Target keywords can be optimized for pictures and should be used in your alt image attributes and file names.
- Meta description: While it is unknown whether including target keywords in your text snippets helps rankings, having optimized keywords in your meta tags produces more clicks.
- URL: Include SEO keywords in file name slugs.
- Site structure: Keyword optimization should play a critical role in how you organize your site content. Select the right keywords, group them hierarchically and order your site’s pages accordingly.
There are several factors you should consider when choosing optimized keywords.
More popular keywords will drive more people to your website (if you rank highly). There are two ways of thinking when choosing keywords based on popularity:
- Target the most popular keywords. This seems like a simple approach, but the more popular a keyword is, the more difficult it will be to rank for it.
- Target less popular keywords. This is often the best approach for a new website. It is hard to compete with websites that hold a share of voice for the most popular keywords in competitive verticals. Newer sites are more successful optimizing for keywords that are less popular, integrating keywords with modifiers and creating mid-to-long tail keywords.
It is best practice to choose keywords based on how relevant they are to your businesses. If your keywords are not relevant, the visitors to your site will not be relevant, and they won’t convert to customers.
If you are looking for ways to scale your business, search engine marketing is essential. Specifically, focusing on your keywords in the content you create is a great starting point. This can be done organically, and if you educate yourself, does not require any cost other than your time.
If you are looking to learn more about SEO and keywords, Geraci Media would love to be a resource for you. We offer standalone SEO packages, which focus on growing our clients’ ranking on google through keyword optimization. Reach out to us for a free consultation here.